Comfortable Dental Care with Sedation Dentistry
Do you avoid visiting the dentist even when you’re experience severe pain or discomfort? Do you spend your appointments feeling uncomfortable, stressed, or afraid? If you answered yes to either of these questions, it might be time to ask about sedation dentistry. At Hillsview Dental Care, we offer nitrous oxide (laughing gas) and oral conscious sedation to help patients relax and receive the dental care they need here in Anaheim Hills, CA.
Who benefits from sedation?
- Those who are fearful or anxious about dental office visits
- Those who do not achieve full numbness with local anesthesia alone
- Those who have an extremely sensitive gag reflex
- Those who have highly sensitive teeth or gums
- Those who are unable to be comfortable in a dental practice for any number of reasons, including a dislike of dental smells, noises, and/or needles
- Those who need complex or multiple treatments to be completed in a single visit
- Those who have physical or cognitive impairments that make dental treatments painful or unsafe
What types of sedation do you offer?
- Nitrous oxide – inhaled through the nose throughout treatment, nitrous oxide sedation allows patients to relax during care, and the quick recovery time helps them return to their regular routine right away.
- Oral conscious sedation – patients take a pill at a pre-determined time before their appointment. These sedatives create a moderate level of sedation that wears off typically within 12 hours of treatment. This moderate level of sedation allows patients to feel completely calm, and many people don’t remember their treatment following care. Patients will need a trusted friend or family member to drive them to and from our office.
The most advanced form of sedation, general anesthesia, actually renders patients unconscious during care. This is not recommended for most treatments, but may be necessary for advanced oral surgery or those with special needs. If general anesthesia is something you’re interested in finding out more about, please don’t hesitate to ask our team at Hillsview Dental Care if this might be a good solution for your needs.
Intravenous (IV) Dental Sedation
Intravenous (IV) dental sedation is administered via IV drip, so we can easily adjust the dosage to ensure patients are completely at ease throughout even the longest and most complex treatments. IV sedation offers the deeper levels of relaxation possible with oral conscious sedation while still being able to adjust the dose of sedative to meet patients’ needs throughout dental procedures. Following your treatment, you should plan to rest for at least twelve hours to allow time for the sedative effects to wear off. You will also need to have a friend or family member drive you to and from our office.
What should I do now?
Even if you experience dental anxiety or phobia, it’s essential that you visit our office twice a year for regular exams and cleanings. This allows our team to remove damaging plaque and tartar before more advanced procedures are necessary, keeping you out of the dental chair. Mild sedation for even the most minimally invasive procedures helps even severely apprehensive patients receive their necessary dental care. Our friendly Anaheim Hills team is happy to help you or your loved ones achieve maximum relaxation during any dental visit!